Local Life In The 20th Century

1941 A Retrospect Tilley's Almanack

Chronological extracts completed from the "Ledbury Free Press"
[High Street]

January 9 At the annual meeting it was decided to close down the Ledbury Reading Room and Library owing to lack of public interest.

January 27 The year’s work in connection with Ledbury Parish Church was reviewed at the annual Vestry meeting held at the Congregational Schoolroom, and the financial report showed a very satisfactory position in the prevailing circumstances.

January 29 Lord SOMERS of Eastnor Castle, was appointed Chief Scout in succession to the late Lord BADEN-POWELL.

February 13 At Ledbury Licensing Sessions a very satisfactory annual report was presented by Supt. G. BRIERLEY, and all licenses were renewed.

February 19 In connection with the Eastnor Lodge of Freemasons, the annual installation ceremony was held at the Masonic Temple, when Bro. W. MOSLEY (Bosbury) was installed Worshipful Master for the ensuing year.

February 29 Formerly a well-known Ledbury draper and milliner, Mr. W. H. HORTON died in a Leicester nursing home at the age of 77.

March 1 This was the first day of Ledbury War Weapons Week, by which it was hoped to raise the sum of £50,000. The opening ceremony took place at the Town Hall and was performed by Mr. George ARLISS, the world-famed film star and actor. The band of the Royal Marines paraded the town during the morning. The total amount raised during the week reached the substantial sum of £96,379.

March 5 The Drill Hall was packed to capacity when a variety show, “Revelry and Rhythm,” was given for the joint benefit of Ledbury Bomber Fund and the Comforts Fund. The concert resulted in a net profit of £36 7s. 0d.

March 13 The death occurred of Major C. A. H. PALAIRET, J.P., of Westhill, Ledbury, at the age of 64.

March 15 Ledbury Bomber Fund, an effort sponsored by the local Chamber of Commerce, raised £544 7s. 2d. towards the County Bomber Fund.

April 7 A rate increase of fourpence in the £ for the ensuing six months was announced at the monthly meeting of Ledbury Urban Council.

April 18 Mr. Sam DAVIS was elected chairman of Ledbury Urban Council at the annual meeting.

April 19 Street collections in Ledbury and district, organised in aid of the Herefordshire Fund for the Blind, realised £37 6s. 2d.

April 26 Annual dance recital given by pupils of Miss Grace DOVEY at the Drill Hall. Proceeds were in aid of the local Comforts Fund and Herefordshire County Welfare Fund and realised £37 5s 6d.

April 27 Sudden death of Mr. C. H. WILKS, proprietor of the well-known grocery business in High Street, at the age of 56.

May 5 Cyril HAINES and George DAVIS, two scholars at Ledbury Boys’ School were presented with County Council medals, awarded for five years’ perfect school attendance.

May 10 Street collections in Ledbury in aid of Dr. Barnardo’s Homes realised a record total of £28.

May 22 Organised for the joint benefit of Ledbury Cottage Hospital and the local Comforts Fund, a dance held at the Drill Hall proved a great success, and realised the sum of £76 5s. 8d.

June 7 Street collections for the National Red Cross Flag Day, which were held in Ledbury and District. realised £162 19s. 2d.

June 12 An additional portion of Ledbury Cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Hereford in the presence of many parishioners.

June 21 The record sum of £95 10s. 0d. was raised by Alexandra Rose Day collections in Ledbury and district, Ledbury Cottage Hospital receiving £80 2s. 3d. from the total amount.

July 11 One of Ledbury’s oldest inhabitants, Mr. George CARTER, of Church Street, died at the age of 87. For many years he was the owner and licensee of the Prince of Wales inn, from which he had retired.

July 23 Court House School annual prize distribution and sports held on the Sports Club ground.

July 25 The first annual musical festival for schools in Ledbury and district took place at the Church Room.

August 1 Mr. Charles STACKHOUSE, a well-known farmer and hop-grower of Woodhouse, Ledbury, was fatally injured in a motor car collision on the Hereford-Ledbury main road.

August 12 Mr. J. E. EDMUNDS, licensee of the New Inn Hotel, sustained fatal injuries as the result of a fall.

August 21 Ledbury Ladies Working Parties annual sale of work, held at the Rectory.

August 31 Mr. and Mrs. W. G. DAVIS, of Bye Street, Ledbury, celebrated their golden wedding. They were married at St. Matthew’s Church, Cheltenham, on August 31st, 1891.

September 7 Methodists of the Ledbury Circuit welcomed their newly appointed Superintendent Minister, the Rev. G. A. WOODING.

September 8 Death of Dr. James McKean HARRISON, the well-known Ledbury surgeon, which occurred at his residence at Tunbridge Wells.

September 16 Well-known in Ledbury as a coal merchant for over 50 years, the death occurred at Richmond Villa, New Street, of Mr. Sidney CLARK, at the age of 86.

October 28 Gift auction sale in the Cattle Market, organised by the Ledbury Agricultural Red Cross Committee, on behalf of the Red Cross and Ledbury Hospital Fund. The sale resulted in the raising of a sum exceeding £1100.

October 28 Waving a greeting to a passer-by, an Italian prisoner of war fell from a moving lorry at the New Mills bridge near Ledbury, and sustained fatal injuries.

November 6 A “gift day” organised by the C.E.M.S. in aid of Ledbury Parish Church funds realised £27 12s. 0d.

November 11 “Poppy Day” collections in Ledbury and district in aid of Earl Haig’s Fund reached a new record this year, the total sum raised being £171 15s. 0d.

November 16 One of the most ambitious “invasion” exercises yet planned aroused great interest in the town, when the military and Civil Defence Services very successfully co-operated in testing local defences in the event of an invasion.

November 28 Ledbury and district “Warship Week” opened with the object of raising £55,000, the cost of launching a corvette. Capt. H. Spencer COOPER, R.N., performed the opening ceremony from the Town Hall steps. The amount raised during the week totalled over £100,000.

‹ ‹ Retrospect Index

1897 - 1979 A Retrospect Tilleys Almanacks - Herefordshire History
2021 - Transcribed by Donna GORIN

Back To Top