|1896 - A Retrospect|
|June 11 The wedding (full choral) of Miss MAYO, Ledbury, and Mr. W. WILSON, Glasgow, took place at Ledbury Church|
|September 10 Miss Isabel DAVIES, of Ledbury, was married to Mr. Harry WILLIAMS, of Tuffnell Park, London.|
|1901- A Retrospect|
|August 27 Marriage of Rev. H. B. WALTON to Miss Hilda BICKHAM.|
|1902- A Retrospect|
|October 27 Mr. and Mrs. George WARGENT, of Ledbury, celebrated their Golden Wedding.|
|1903 October - ( Lynne ROBINSON Collection )|
|Mr Thomas BRANT and Miss Elizabeth PEDLINGHAM - Ledbury Parish Church|
|On Thursday a pretty ..............at Ledbury Parish Church.......being Mr Thomas Henry BRANT eldest son of H. BRANT of Worcester and Miss Elizabeth PEDLINGHAM, second daughter of MR H PEDLINGHAM of New Market Street, Ledbury.|
The bride who was given away by her brother Mr C. PEDLINGHAM, was charmingly attired in a dress of white silk, trimmed with cream insertion, with grey hat to match, and carrying a pretty bouquet of white flowers, the gift of her brother, Mr C PEDLINGHAM. She was attended by Miss Kate PEDLINGHAM ( sister) and Miss Nessie JAMES ( a friend) as bridesmaids, who wore dresses of figured muslin, with black hats and carried bouquets of chryanthemums.
Mr J MATTHEWS ( brother- in-law of bride) attended the bridegroom as bestman. The Reverend C. B. CALDICOTT ( curate) performed the nuptial ceremony.
Susequent to the wedding a reception was held at the house of the brides father, at which a number of relatives and friends were invited. Later the newly-married couple left Ledbury for Birmingham,where the honeymoon will be spent.
The brides travelling dress was a black and white costume. Mr and Mrs BRANT, on their return from the honeymoon, will take up their residence in Worcester
The presents were of a useful character and were as follows;
Mr and Mrs C PEDLINGHAM, wine glasses. Mr and Mrs PEDLINGHAM, wedding cake. Mr and Mrs MATTHEWS, reading lamp and fire irons. Miss Kate PEDLINGHAM, tea service. Miss Pollie PEDLINGHAM, cut glass dishes. Miss Gertie PEDLINGHAM, set of jugs.
Miss Georgina PEDLINGHAM, silver plated dessert spoons. Mr and Mrs TAYLOR, (Southwell, Notts.,) counterpane and toilet covers. Mrs B JAMES, fancy table covers. Miss Nessie JAMES, set of toilet ware. Mr and Mrs T.W. STEPHENS, silver mounted carving knife and fork.
Miss N JAMES, silver and cut glass jam stand. Miss L JAMES, glass jam dish. Miss ALICE DALLEY glass jug. Mrs W BEECHEY( Worcester) enamel tea pot, tea service and table spoons. Mr James HOWELLS ( Revelstoke British Canada) cheque.
Miss E HOWELLS ( Eastnor) lace curtains and table cloths. Mrs DAVIS ( Ryton Dymock) feather pillows. Miss L DALLEY, glass water jug. Miss MARSHALL, bed linen. Mrs BAGGOTT, chamber towels.
|1945 - ( Lynne ROBINSON Collection )|
|P/O Eric FIELD and Miss J.W. SHAKESHEFF. - Ledbury Parish Church|
|The marriage took place on Tuesday at Ledbury Parish Church of Petty Officer Eric Charles FIELD , son of Mr and Mrs FIELD, !, Knoll View, Victoria-road , Ledbury to Miss Joan Winifred SHAKESHEFF, second daughter of Mr and Mrs W. SHAKESHEFF, 23, Homend Crescent, Ledbury.|
The choral service was conducted by the Rector ( Ven A.J. WINNINGTON - INGRAM) and Mrs H.C. HOOPER at the organ played Handel's 'Largo' and The Wedding March. The 67th Psalm was chanted and the hymns were 'O' Perfect Love' and 'Love Divine'.
The bride, given away by her father was attired in white figured crepe -de - chine with train,diamante and orange blossom headdress with Brussels lace veil, ( lent by a friend). She carried a shower bouquet of pink carnations and fern with Fleet Air Arm ribbons attatched. She was attended by.............. .................................sister-in-law to the bride. Masters John and Malcolm SHAKESHEFF ( pages ) were unable to attend owing to illness. The attendants wore peach backed marocain dresses with lace, trimmed with pink, with white headresses and lace muffs.
The bestman was Petty Officer Allan KERSHAW. A reception followed at the Drill Hall when 50 guests attended.
The groom's present to the bride was a navy blue leather handbag and the attendants recieved silver bracelets. The groom's gift from the bride was gold cuff links.
The honeymoon was spent at Weston-Super-Mare, the bride travelling in a lupin blue dress with gray fitting coat with blue revers and navy accessories.
|1956 March 23- ( Ledbury Reporter )|
|Mr Albert ROSE - Miss Alison JACKSON - Ledbury Methodist Chapel|
The wedding took place on Saturday, at the Methodist Chapel, Ledbury, of Miss Alison Eileen JACKSON, elder daughter of Pol.-Sergt. and Mrs F.A. JACKSON, 19 Worcester Road, Ledbury and Mr Albert Alan ROSE, only son of Mr and Mrs F. ROSE, 161, The Homend, Ledbury.|
Given away by her father, the bride wore a dress of white nylon over taffeta, her fingertip length veil was held in place by a pearl and net headdress and she carried a bouquet of yellow roses. She was attended by matron of honour, Mrs R. TAYLOR ( sister of the groom) and Miss Rosemary JACKSON ( brides sister). Both were attired in yellow nylon net over crepe with yellow and green accessories and they carried mixed freesias. Mr R TAYLOR, 14 Church- street, Ledbury was the bestman.
The service ws conducted by the Rev.W.E. THOMAS, with Mrs. W.A. MADDOX at the organ.
The reception which followed at the Royal Oak Hotel, Ledbury was attended by 46 guests. Later the couple left for Torquay, where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride travelling in an off white coat with tan accessories.
The bridegroom presented the bridesmaids with rhinestone necklaces.
The chapel was decorated by Miss L WARREN and Miss N MINETT.
|1959 March - ( Ledbury Reporter )|
|Mr Trevor PONTER - Miss Dorothy PARTRIDGE - Ledbury Parish Church|
|Ledbury Families United. Ledbury Parish Church was the scene of the wedding on Saturday between Miss Dorothy May PARTRIDGE, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs H. PARTRIDGE of Bush Pitch, Hereford-road, Ledbury and Mr Trevor John PONTER, son of Mr and Mrs H. PONTER, 20 Oatleys Terrace, Ledbury.|
The service was conducted by Rev. R.R. KIMBELL and Mrs J SUDDES was the organist. The hymns 'Love Divine' and 'Praise My Soul the King of Heaven' were sung.
The bride, who was given away by her father, was dressed in white heavy brocade with a short veil held in place by orange blossom. She carried a bouquet of red carnations. Miss Jean PARTRIDGE the brides sister, was in attndance, being dressed in pink brocade with a matching headdress and gloves. her bouquet was of pink carnations. Mr R. PONTER was bestman.
A reception was held at the Plough Hotel, Ledbury attended by 35 guests.
Mr and Mrs PONTER afterwards left for their honeymoon in Birmingham; the bride travelling in a powder blue costume with navy accessories.
|1961 April 7 - ( Ledbury Reporter )|
|Mr Denis GRIMES - Miss Ann JACKSON ( Easter Monday ) - Ledbury Parish Church|
The wedding took place at Ledbury Parish Church on Easter Monday between Mr Denis Reginald GRIMES, eldest son of Mr and Mrs R.W. GRIMES, Appledore, Bank Crescent, Ledbury and Miss Ann JACKSON, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs L JACKSON of 22 Margaret Road, Ledbury.|
Wearing a gown of white lace over taffeta, and carrying a bouquet of white carnations and freesias, the bride was given away by her father.
The brides attendants Miss Valerie JACKSON ( brides sister) and Mrs Evelyn ROBINSON ( bridegrooms sister), the Misses Sandra GIBBONS and Jennifer DAVIES (bridegrooms cousins) wore dresses of lilac brocade with white accessories and carried bouquets of lemon carnations.
The bestman was Mr Gordon GRIFFIN ( bridgrooms cousin).The Rector ( the Rev D LLEWELLYN JONES) conducted the choral ceremony and the organist was Mr J.L. SUDDES.
A reception for 90 guests was held at the Royal Oak Hotel, Ledbury.
Bridegrooms present to the bride was a gold locket and brides present to bridgroom, a wedding ring.The bridgroom gave the bridesmaids their dresses.
The bride wearing a lilac travelling costume with white accessories,the couple left for their honeymoon at Burton Bradstock, Dorset. Their home will be in Bank Crescent, Ledbury.
|Mr Kenneth HARWOOD - Miss Christine HODGETTS ( Easter Monday ) - Ledbury Parish Church|
Miss Christine HODGETTS niece of Mr and Mrs HOOPER of Lilac Cottage, Bridge Street, Ledbury and Mr Kenneth HARWOOD, Queens Mead, Upton-on-Severn, were married on Easter Monday at Ledbury Church.|
Given away by her uncle, the bride wore a cream brocade gown cut on classical lines with a circular net veil held in place by a tiara of orange blossom and pearls. She carried a bouquet of mixed freesias.
Bridesmaids, the Misses Anne BASS ( brides friend), Stella JACOBS (brides cousin) and Yvonne HARWOOD ( bridegrooms niece) wore dresses of japonica coloured grosgrain.
Mr Tony HARWOOD, bridegrooms brother, was the best man.
The Rev. R .R KIMBELL conducted the choral service and Mr J.L. SUDDES was the organist.
A reception attended by 50 guests followed at The Feathers Hotel.
Future home of the couple will be at Upton-on-Severn.
|Mr Vernon Archer JONES - Miss Janet Elizabeth Beatrice POWELL ( Easter Monday ) - Ledbury Parish Church|
Miss Janet Elizabeth Beatrice POWELL, daughter of Mr and Mrs D POWELL of Home Farm Cottage, Whitfield, Allensmore, near Hereford , married Mr Vernon Archer JONES. son of Mr and Mrs T JONES of Cough Nest, Lea Bailey, near Ross , on Easter Monday,at Ledbury Parish Church.|
The bride given away by her father, wore a full-length gown of white figured lace over net and nylon, with a short veil held in place by a coronet of white and silver leaves. She carried a bouquet of red carnations and fern.
Youngest bridesmaid, Miss Joanne BROOKE ( brides niece) wore a short flowered blue nylon dress with a headress to match and carried a basket of mixed flowers. Matron of honour Mrs Eileen BROOKE ( brides sister) and Miss Roslyn JONES ( bridegrooms sister) wore full-length dresses of pink figured lace over net and nylon with headresses of pink artificial flowers.
|Mr Michael Robert Albert FORESHEW - Miss Marjorie Elizabeth WATKINS - Colwall St James Church|
Bellringers from Colwall and Bosbury heralded the wedding of Miss Marjorie Elizabeth WATKINS , daughter of Mr and Mrs J . WATKINS of Haysbrook, Massington, near Ledbury, and Mr Michael Robert Albert FORSHEW, eldest son of Mr and Mrs W.E. FORSHEW, of Bryn Bella, Colwall Green, by ringing the bells of St. James's church Colwall, on Easter Monday.|
The bride, given away by her father wore a full-length white figured lace over taffeta dress with a shoulder length veil. She carried a bouquet of red roses. Bridesmaids Miss Ivy WATKINS ( brides sister) and Miss Elizabeth KILBY ( bridegrooms friend) wore ballerina length dresses of lemon nylon with matching headdresses. They carried pink carnations and lilies.
Younger brother of the bridegroom Mr Keith FORSHEW was best man.
The choral service was conducted by Prebendary L.A. GIBSON ( rector), A reception attended by 70 guests followed at the Park Hotel Colwall.
The couples future home will be in Bryn Bella , Colwall
|Mr Patrick Anthony TAYLOR - Miss Sybil Amy BARNES - Colwall St James Church|
The wedding took place at St. James's Church, Colwall, on Monday, of Mr Patrick Anthony TAYLOR, second son of Mrs A. TAYLOR of Camp View, Colwall and the late Mr A TAYLOR, and Miss Sybil Amy BARNES, only daughter of Mr and Mrs R.H. BARNES of Cherry Lodge,Old Church Road, Colwall.|
The bride, who was given away by her father wore a ballerina-length gown of lace over nylon with nylon rouched panel studded with pearls. The bridesmaids, Miss J TAYLOR and Miss D WHEALE, wore dresses of lemon and blue embossed nylon respectively.
Mr Terence TAYLOR, the bridesgrooms brother was bestman. A reception, held in the Church Room, Colwall, was attended by 60 guests.
|Mr Hugo Rowton SIMPSON - Miss Sara Claire KANNREUTHER - Cradley St James Church|
Wearing full-dress Royal Air Force uniform and ceremonial sword, Flight Lieutenant Hugo ROWTON SIMPSON of RAF Technical branch officer now working at the Royal Radar Establishment,Malvern was married at St. James's Church, Cradley, to Miss Sara Claire KANNREUTHER.|
The bride, only daughter of Mr and Mrs E.S. KANNREUTHER of Leadon Court, Fromes Hill, near Ledbury, was attended by five bridemaids, the Misses Judy,Barbara and Lorna SIMPSON and Miss Lesley APPLEBY and Miss Mary CRONIN.
Best man was MR A.M. Simpson bridegrooms cousin. The ceremony which was followed by a reception for 200 guests at Leadon Court, was conducted by the Reverend C.T. COTTRILL with Mr P.B. WADDINGTON at the organ.
|Mr Brian Anthony BEECHAM - Miss Sara Anne WIDDOWS - Dymock Church|
Miss Sarah Ann WIDDOWS, second daughter of Mr George WIDDOWS of Hillend Green, Newent, married Mr Brian Anthony BEECHAM of Black Dog Cottage,Church Street, Newent , son of the late Mr and Mrs BEECHAM of Redcar, at Dymock Church on Saturday.|
The ceremony was conducted by the Reverend J.E. GETHYN-JONES and the organist was Mr HEDWORTH.
The bride who was given away by her father, wore a ballerina-length dress of white figured nylon. The Misses Susan WIDDOWS ( sister of the bride),Lyn JONES ( niece of the bride), Elizabeth DANIELS ( cousin of the bridegroom) and Janet WHITE ( friend of the bride) were bridesmaids.
Miss Janet WHITE and Miss Susan WIDDOWS wore dresses of royal blue nylon and Miss Lyn JONES and Miss Elizabeth DANIELS wore white nylon with royal blue flecks and sashes.
Mr B. LITTLEWOOD was bestman. Sixty-six guests attended the reception at Dymock Parish Hall. Mr and Mrs BEECHAM will live at Gloucester.
|David Raymond CLIFT - Miss Sheila Joy MATTHEWS ( Easter Monday ) - Redmarley Church|
Bellringers Salute At Redmarley|
An archway of bellringers greeted Miss Sheila Joy MATTHEWS, only daughter of Mrs MATTHEWS and the late Mr MATTHEWS of The Folly, Redmarley, and Mr David Raymond CLIFT of Gloucester, after their wedding on Easter Monday at Redmarley Church.
The bride, a former bellringer , was given away by her brother Mr W MATTHEWS, and wore a full-length gown of white brocade, she carried a bouquet of mixed flowers.
The chief bridesmaid was Miss Carol CLIFT ( bridegrooms niece) and four small bridesmaids, the Misses G PREECE, L PREECE, J MATTHEWS and J MATTHEWS ( brides nieces) wore dresses of blue figured nylon over taffeta.
The bestman was Mr Derek CLIFT of Gloucester.
|Mr Gerald OSBOURNE - Miss Violet Norah PROUT ( Easter Monday ) - Redmarley Church|
|Redmarley Bride Miss Violet Norah PROUT, second daughter of Mr and Mrs E PROUT of Inn Farm House, Redmarley, and Mr Gerald OSBORNE of The Coppice,Upton St. Leonard's Gloucester, were married at Redmarley Church on Easter Monday.|
Wearing a full-length ivory figured brocade gown and carrying a bouquet of pink roses and lily of the valley, the bride was given away by her father. Bridesmaids Jennifer and Ruth PROUT ( brides sisters') wore turquoise net over taffeta dresses and carried white carnations. Younger bridesmaids Wendy OSBORNE ( bridegrooms sister) and Heather WATSON ( brides niece) wore dresses of white nylon with pink rosebuds and carried posies of hyacinths.
Bestman was Mr Michael Hutchinson of Gloucester. The choral ceremony was conducted by the Rev P.G. YOUNG ( Rector). A reception for 100 guests folowed at the Stardin Country Club, Newent. Mr and Mrs OSBORNE will live in Gloucester.
|1961 October 4- ( Hereford Evening News )|
|Mr Bryan MESSAM - Miss Jean PEDLINGHAM - Ledbury Parish Church|
Twin Sister Married - Dressed in a full length gown of French lace over nylon net with a bouffant veil held in place by a coronet of diamante and crystal beads and carrying a bouquet of apricot roses, Miss Jean PEDLINGHAM was married to Mr Bryan MESSAM at Ledbury Parish Church.|
The bride is twin daughter to Mr and Mrs C.H. PEDLINGHAM of 6, Longacres, Ledbury. She was educated at Canon Frome Secondary Modern School.
Mr MESSAM is second son of Mrs E.D. MESSAM of 'Franta', Bank Crescent, Ledbury and is a sales representative for Messrs. ROWBERRY and Co. Ltd. of Ross - on - Wye. He was educated at Ledbury Grammar School.
The bridesmaid, Miss Joan PEDLINGHAM, the brides twin sister wore a dress of japonica satin with matching accessories and carried a bouquet of white carnations and apricot roses.
Two smaller attendants, Miss Pauline BRADLEY, the brides niece and Miss Suzanne GRIFFITHS wore dresses of japonica satin and carried posies of carnations and roses. Bestman was Mr Douglas MESSAM of Manchester, brother of the bridegroom.
The bride was given away by her father. The choral ceremony was conducted by Prebendary D. LEWELLYN JONES and the Reverend R.R. KIMBELL. The organist was Mr J.L. SUDDES.
The reception for 50 guests was held at the Royal Oak Hotel, Ledbury.
Dressed in a lilac suit with white accessories, the bride left with her husband for a honeymoon in Brighton.
The bride gave her husband a signet ring while he gave her a wristlet watch.
The couples future home will be The Flat , 37, New street, Ledbury.
|1964 October 29- ( Ledbury Reporter)|
|Mr Robert PHILLIPS - Miss Brenda DAVIES - Ledbury Parish Church|
The wedding took place at Ledbury Parish Church on Saturday between Miss Brenda Kathleen DAVIES, second daughter of Mr and Mrs L DAVIES of 2, Whitehouse Cottages, Preston Cross and Mr Robert Leslie PHILLIPS, second son of Mr and Mrs D PHILLIPS of 10 Margaret Road, Ledbury.|
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a smoke- blue weave rayon frock with gentle sheen of ballet slipper and ruffled lace bodice and she carried a bouquet of white carnations.
There were two bridesmaids, the Misses Sylvia DAVIES her sister and Denise PHILLIPS a sister of the bridegroom. Both wore dresses of kingfisher-blue brushed rayon with threaded broderie anglais trimming on the front and white collars. They carried white Prayer Books.
The best man was Mr Philip GLADWIN and the service was conducted by the Rev Stephen THOMAS.
A reception was held at the New Inn, Ledbury after which Mr and Mrs PHILLIPS left for their honeymoon at Much Dewchurch. Their home will be at South Parade, Ledbury
|1966 August - (Ledbury Reporter )|
|Mr John Anthony REYNOLDS - Miss Marina Margaret BOSWELL - Malvern Christ Church|
The wedding took place at Christ Church, Malvern of Mr John Anthony REYNOLDS, first son of Mr and Mrs J.E. REYNOLDS, 38 Oatleys Road, Ledbury, and Miss Marina Margaret BOSWELL first daughter of Mr and Mrs H BOSWELL of 3 Hilton Road, Poolbrook, Malvern.|
The bride, who was given away by her father wore a full-length dress of white figured lace with a half veil held in place by a tiara. She carried a bouquet of red roses and sweet peas.
The bridesmaid were Miss Julia BOSWELL, Miss Linda BOSWELL, Miss Celia BOSWELL, Miss Jacqueline FINNEY, Miss Susan CAMERON and Miss Tina FINNEY. Master David REYNOLDS and Master Harry BOSWELL were the pages.
Miss Julia BOSWELL and Miss Susan CAMERON wore short dresses of blue figured lace with matching head-dresses and carried bouquets of mixed flowers. Miss Linda BOSWELL and Miss Celia BOSWELL wore short lemon satin dresses with matching head-dresses and carried posies of mixed flowers.Miss Jacqueline FINNEY and Miss Tina FINNEY wore short dresses of pink satin with matching head-dresses and carried posies of mixed flowers.
The bestman was Mr Richard WATKINS. The service was conducted by Rev Henry John FREIENSENER.
|1945 June 1 - ( Lynne ROBINSON )|
On June 1, 1895 at Wellington Heath the marriage of Mr Charles PEDLINGHAM to Miss Florence CLARK was solemnised by the Rev. F.S. STOOKE VAUGHAN. Both bridegrrom and bride came of well-known local families, the former being the son of Mr Harry PEDLINGHAM, painter and decorator of Ledbury. Mr and Mrs PEDLINGHAM spent the first 40 years of their married life in Wellington Heath and now reside at Aston Fields, Bromsgrove.|
There are five sons, Vivian at Burcot, Harry at Ledbury, Wilfred and Joseph at Rubery, with Richard serving with H.M. Forces in Germany; and three daughters, Gladys ( MRS ADAMS) at Malvern, Kathleen ( Mrs WOODMAN) at Aston Fields and 'Tet' ( Mrs DAVIES) at Burcot. There are sixteen grandchildren and one great grandchild living.
Mr PEDLINGHAM was a very keen footballer playing for many years for Ledbury Town Football Club in the outside left position and taking a keen interest in the game after his playing - days were over. He is now an ardent billiards player.
Both Mr and Mrs PEDLINGHAM are in good health, the former being employed at the Austin Motor works, leaving home at 6.45 each morning and returning at 6pm.
They have received many congratulatory messages on celebrating their golden wedding.
|1953 June 19 - ( Ledbury Reporter )|
Mr and Mrs Harry BARNARD formerly of Ledbury, and now Bredon, pictured at their golden wedding recently.|
|1902 Jakeman and Carver's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire|
|1914 Newent Reporter Newspaper - Herefordshire History |
|1914 - 1919 Ledbury Guardian Newspaper - Herefordshire History |
|1897 - 1980 A Retrospect Tilley's Almanack's - Herefordshire History
|Photographs are credited to the owners where possible|
|Comments are from members of the Old Ledbury Facebook Group
|Cuttings are from Old Ledbury Reporter Newspapers|