In April, 1870, Luke TILLEY purchased the old-established book selling, stationary and printing business of the late Mr. BAYLIS, 22 High Street, Ledbury.
Within six months he had bought the stationary and printing business carried on next door ( where Mr. BIXLEY lived ), 23 high Street and for a time he occupied both houses, ultimately buying the lower one, greatly altering it and making it his sole premises.
In connection with the latter business was published the "Ledbury Free Press," the only newspaper in the town, which he improved and sold, and which then became the "Ledbury Guardian". Around 1884 Luke TILLEY purchased the premises opposite 16 High Street which the business of TILLEY's Ledbury Bazaar carried on.
Luke TILLEY stood in the doorway of his shop
1897 - 1980 A Retrospect Tilleys Almanacks - Herefordshire History
Photographs are credited to the owners where possible
Edited Comments in italics are from the Old Ledbury Facebook Group
Cuttings are from Old Ledbury Reporter Newspapers
History of Ledbury in the 19th Century
Herefordshire Archive Records Centre HARC