Old Ledbury Upper Hall

Upper Hall

Upper Hall

[Upper Hall]

The seat of John MARTIN is a spacious red brick mansion, situated on an eminence, with a park of oak trees.

1876 - 1877
An iron church has been recently erected in New street, at the sole expense of John MARTIN, Esq., J.P., of the Upper hall, for the use of the congregation of the Ledbury Free church, of which the Rev. Gordon J.H. LLEWELLYN is the minister.

Waldyve Alexander Hamilton MARTIN principal landowner


Original Water Colour by W A H MARTIN - No 3 OATS Herefordshire Beacon

[No 3 OATS Picture by Mr MARTIN 1910]

[Rear Of No 3 OATS Picture by Mr MARTIN 1910]

1914 - 1919
Upper Hall during World War One - Military Hospital

Upper Hall was offered for sale by auction

[Upper Hall Auction 1919]

17th June 1919 Auction details

Upper Hall was sold to Herefordshire County Council who converted it into Ledbury Grammar School

[1920 Ledbury Grammar School] [Ledbury Grammar School]

School Buildings - Upper Hall


Ledbury Grammar School

1876-1877 Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire
1914 - 1919 Ledbury Guardian Newspaper - Herefordshire History
1916 Tilley's Almanack
Photographs are credited to the owners
Comments are from members of the Old Ledbury Facebook Group
Cuttings from Ledbury Reporter newspapers